This article is meant to provide a general overview of the steps necessary to start a training program with SmartMind. We do not provide guidance of appropriate training protocols, (i.e., which EEG Frequencies to train and where).
Step 1: Decide on an appropriate EEG Training Protocol. BrainTrain does not provide guidance or recommendations for protocols for any treatment paradigms. We can provide assistance/guidance in setting up a Clinician screen to use a protocol of your selection.
Step 2: Create a new Player within the System.
Step 3: Pair and configure your supported EEG amplifier via the “Setup EEG Device” button on the right side of the screen. Consult the Help document in SmartMind for assistance with configuring your specific device.
Step 5: Choose a Training Protocol and configure Training parameters (which filters to use and whether to reward or inhibit frequencies) for your selected Training Protocol from Step 1 within the appropriate Clinician screen. A brief description of each Clinician screen is below including representative screenshots of the screens and the number of filters/channels supported by each.
- Relax Your Face (see example): Configured for reduction or downtraining of EMG (33 – 48 Hz) on up to two channels/active sensor locations. More detail is provide in this article.
- Basic Training (see example): Provides 2 Filters for One Channel or 1 Filter for Each of 2 Channels. Can be configured to increase or decrease any minimum 2 Hz EEG frequency band between 0.5 Hz and 48 Hz. More detail is provided in this article.
- Four Filter Training (see example): Provides up to 4 Filters for One Channel or 2 Filters for each of 2 Channels or active sensor locations. Can be configured to increase or decrease any minimum 2 Hz EEG frequency band between 0.5 Hz and 48 Hz.
- Eight Filter Training (see example): Provides up to 8 filters (any minimum 2 Hz EEG frequency band between 0.5 Hz and 48 Hz). Those 8 filters can be applied in batches of 2 filters per channel (up to 4 total channels) or you can apply multiple sets channels. For example, you could do Filters 1 through 6 on Channel 1 and Filter 7 & 8 on Channel 2 or a similar combination.
- Global Training (see example): Provides up to 4 filters (any minimum 2 Hz EEG frequency band between 0.5 Hz and 48 Hz). The configured filters are then applied to all available, assigned channels on the selected device.
- Divergent Training (see example): The Divergent Training screen enables to relative training on one EEG filter to another, enabling a clinician to create a training paradigm that provides reward when the trainee changes one filter in the desired direction while maintaining another. For example, a setup could be configured such that a reward is given when the client reduces their Theta amplitude while maintaining Beta within a range. This is important as the entire EEG spectrum can “ride” with changes in one filter such that reductions in Theta (for example) induce reductions in Beta thereby reducing activity across the EEG spectrum but reductions in Beta may be undesirable.
- For assistance with configuring Filter settings, please view SmartMind Filter Controls and Setup.
Step 6: Record a Baseline (Active or Passive) which will set the Artifact Sensitivity levels for the client/trainee and also set the training thresholds mathematically from the baseline data. You can also manually adjust both the Training thresholds and/or Artifact sensitivities after the fact if so desired.
Step 7: Select your desired Training exercises or construct a Training Plan for the trainee.