The instructions below guide you through the general procedure for setting Training Thresholds in the SmartMind system. These instructions were generated using the Basic Training Clinician screen, but the steps are the same for each Clinician screen though the screenshots may differ slightly.
Note: Before setting thresholds, you must first choose your Filter settings and Training Protocol for the trainee. These instructions do not cover that procedure.
- Open the Clinician Screen of your choice and press the “Start Session” button (see example).
- Click on the option for “Active Baseline” or “Passive Baseline” (both described below). Set the Session Time to the desired length and then press “Start.” (see example)
- The Active baseline runs for N minutes and has the user click on stars that appear alternately at the top of the screen (attempting to elicit muscle artifact during this process), in a box (6 times in 30sec) or around the edges of the screen (6 times in 30sec.) Raw data is recorded during this task, which is then analyzed for “best” artifact settings, and then, using those settings, the raw data is re-analyzed to get standard EEG-results (filter means, artifact %, etc).The Active Baseline is generally quicker since both the Training Thresholds and Artifact Sensitivities are set in the one session. Also, the design of the Active Baseline attempts to actually generate eye movement artifact via the movement of the stars on the screen which facilitates a more accurate sensitivity setting.
- The Passive baseline is done in two parts. The first is a 1 minute session that is recorded and analyzed to determine the proper artifact sensitivities. At the end of the 1 minute, a dialog is shown to the user with suggested artifact settings and stats and you can press Ok to continue with those settings to the 2nd part or Retry to redo that first segment again.The 2nd part uses the artifact settings from the first part to set the training thresholds and will include animated graphics that illustrate when each of the different types of artifact are detected. A “Percent Counter” will count up from 0 to 100% to provide feedback on the progress of the Passive Baseline. This 2nd baseline will proceed until the preconfigured time is reached for artifact free recording. For example, if the Passive Baseline is set for 1 minute, then the first baseline will last one minute wherein the artifact sensitivities are calculated. Then, the 2nd baseline will begin where, using the artifact sensitivities from the first baseline, the system will continue to record EEG until 1 minute of artifact free recording is completed. That set will then be used to calculate the Training Threshold.
The Passive Baseline will ensure that each client has the same amount of “artifact free” baseline recorded from which to set the training thresholds. This could be important in a research study situation wherein it is necessary to be able to compare equal sessions lengths across subjects.
- The selected Baseline session will begin. (see example)
- Once the Baseline Session completes, the “Assessment Results” will display. Review the data, then press “Set Thresholds” and then the “Save” button. (see example)
- The “Start Session” selector will appear again. Press the “Cancel” button to close this screen. (see example)
- Once returned to the Clinician Screen, press the “Save Settings” button and then “Exit” to continue with Training. (see example)